Football Mental Health Effect on Fans
Nothing beats the excitement of watching your favorite team play and win. Football is more than just a game to many, but what happens when this game starts to affect fans in their daily life?
Below are the Positive and negative Football Mental Health Effect on Fans that one should know:
Positive Football Mental Health Effect on Fans
- Escaping: When you are feeling stressed from the daily life, you tend to forget all about that when your favorite team is playing. So one of the Positive Football Mental Health Effect on Fans is that it helps them take a break from the daily stresses of life.
- Basking in reflected glory: You feel euphoria and happiness when your team wins which has proven to improve the individual’s mood.
- Catharsis: When you are at a place with your friends or family or fellow supporters of the same team, you chant and scream in a socially accepted way, this is a form of a cathartic release of tension.
- Identity: You wear the same clothes as the team and the fans, you watch the same game, and you all gather in the same place. This creates a certain identity.
- Socializing: One of the Positive Football Mental Health Effect on Fans is socializing. People go with their friends and family and meet new people which they definitely have something in common with.
- Physical Health: One of the Positive Football Mental Health Effect on Fans is that it urges them to play football wearing their team’s shirt. People gather and play football matches which is a great exercise for the body.
Negative Football Mental Health Effect on Fans
- Stress: One Negative Football Mental Health Effect on Fans is that Just like Football can be cathartic and release some stress, it can be a huge source of stress itself. If you support a team that did not win, especially in a significant game or even throughout the game, imagine the stress you go through with all the anticipation.
- Violence: Some people, even if they are not violent, get provoked by the opposing team’s fans and a fight erupts between the two sides. Football has always been associated with violence. It is often called Hooliganism. Social Media football rise has also triggered a lot of hatred among fans.
- Relationships: Football can strengthen relationship and build new ones, but it can also destroy them. If all your focus is on football and your friends, or family and especially your significant other, do not share that passion, you are likely to lose those relationships of you do not establish some sort of balance.
- Suicide: This might sound extreme, but it has happened throughout the history of football, fans committing suicide after a loss of their favorite team. This is one extreme but very dangerous Negative Football Mental Health Effect on Fans.
- Irritation: Another Negative Football Mental Health Effect on Fans is that Being football fans can make you easily irritated. Let’s say after a match, you go to work the next day and your colleagues start to mock your team, you will get irritated. The problem is such foolish behaviors in football are common and recurring which means if you do not have any control, you will become easily irritated all the time.
- Distraction: Putting too much focus on football can distract you from the important things in life like work, studying, family and of course, yourself.
Football Mental Health: It Is All About Balance
Football Mental Health effects on fans can either be positive or negative, it is all about perspective.
If you are able to keep your feelings under control, then football can be a great addition to your life, bringing you lots of joy, stress-free time and lots of new friends.
On the other hand, Football Mental Health effects on you can be very dangerous, you can become violent and irritated and lose your loved ones. It might even end your career. The choice is entirely yours.
Did you experience Positive Football Mental Health Effects or Negative Football Mental Health Effects? Write your comments in the Live Koora section below.